Monday, July 1, 2013

Urbino: pros and cons

Pros: 

1) The weather is pretty cool at the moment. I'm not the slightest bit uncomfortable because of the heat, which I wasn't expecting after last summer in Avignon.

2) My view. If you don't believe me, here is a picture I snapped quickly from my window when I got here: 


3) The Italian students in my wing of the dorm: they are so sweet. They carried my suitcase up three flights of stairs, and think my Italian is great, and love New York, and are just all-around friendly. One girl just knocked on my door, apologized for interrupting what sounded like a phone conversation, but wanted to let me know they're spraying for bugs tonight so I shouldn't leave the windows open. I love that she felt the need to apologize for telling me urgent and important information. 

4) The caffè where I'll be eating breakfast: the guy who owns it, Davide, seems so nice! He recognizes this year's group of professors, hugs them, chats like it hasn't been 5 years since he last saw them. 

5) Class size: 4 people in my class, including me. So 3 other people. That's a lot of Italian speaking! Plus, 3 hours per day! 

6) This town: it's so hilly, and adorable, and there are NO TOURISTS. 

Cons: 

1) It's in the middle of nowhere. So, if I want to go on trips during weekends, there will be major traveling involved. 

2) The other students in the program seem to speak English all the time. Maybe it's just because they're severely jetlagged. We'll see I suppose. 

3) Communal bathroom: and apparently if you close the door all the way when you're showering, the wood expands and you could get stuck inside. But, since the other girls in this wing seem so sweet, I doubt sharing a bathroom will be much of a problem. Besides, it's clean enough. My "apartment" last year in Avignon was worse. 

4) This dorm room: it's small, none of the things that are supposed to lock actually work (except for the main door), there are no hangers, and someone has written all over the walls. There's a squished spider on the ceiling, and there is only one outlet. The internet seems sufficient so far, but they were also a bit intimidating in our orientation about making sure we lock our doors at all time. Apparently, people have gotten things stolen in the past. 

Strange quirk:

1) My key has a block of wood attached to it. Not sure why...


Also, that is a face of a weary traveler who is the least tired of anyone in the group. Time for bed, given I have to wake up early tomorrow for class. Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment