Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Summer 2013

The Summer 2013 seemed to arrange itself in many ways, which was good, because I certainly didn't have the time or energy to deal with it. I won't say much here, because I really need to go to bed (jet lag...), but the reason I called it Bisous Ciao is mostly because it's the name of a macaron store in NYC I went last year and I really liked the name.

Bisous, for those who don't know, is a typical way to end a French letter, email, text message, phone conversation, smoke signal, etc. It means kisses, and reminds us all of the lovely "bise" that I wasn't allowed to teach my French 101 students for fears of sexual harassment charges. When French people meet, they kiss each other on both cheeks. When they part ways, they repeat this gesture. When people join a group, they will kiss each person ritualistically on both cheeks before sitting down. When one person leaves a group, he or she ceremoniously bise-s everyone goodbye. It is highly impractical, and probably unsanitary. I remember reading an article once about how the French were being instructed to hold off on the bise for a while during the SARS epidemic, because it could contribute to the spread of the disease. My father's reaction: "They would rather die."

Ciao is an Italian word, versatile too, since it means hello and goodbye. Everyone knows it, because like "ok," it has spread to almost every language. French people say "ciao" as they leave, I know I say it to non-Italians. It's also very pretty, don't you think? With three vowels, the second of which contributing to that very appealing "ch" sound that looks as good as it sounds with the Italian spelling? Maybe I'm the only one who would interpret the word this way, but that's the way it goes.

Bisous + Ciao could be the macaron store I mentioned at the beginning, or it could be a nice way to say hello and goodbye to my summer—I will be in Paris from today until June 29th, then Italy (Bologna for two days, then Urbino for six weeks) for the remainder of the summer. Then back in Buffalo. It's not just a vacation: I actually have really interesting stuff I have to do! Attending OuLiPo meetings, going to the BnF (National Library of France) to read Victor Hugo's love letters, and taking an intensive Italian literature course in a beautiful Renaissance city! And I'll write all about it here (and possibly post pictures, but as I didn't bring my computer, it depends on which pictures I take with my iPhone).

Bisous ciao to post #1!

No comments:

Post a Comment